Identifying elder abuse and neglect early on

On Behalf of | Dec 17, 2021 | Nursing Home Injuries |

Elder abuse can take on many forms including financial, sexual, physical and psychological. If not addressed in a timely manner, neglect and abuse can take their toll on victims’ life expectancy.

Families of elderly individuals can help to protect their loved ones when they know the warning signs of abuse. Intervention can prevent ongoing trauma and hopefully bring the abusers to justice.

Warning signs

Warning signs of elder abuse and neglect may go unrecognized if people do not actively watch for them. According to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, some signs of maltreatment include the following:

  • Isolation
  • Unexplained injuries
  • Financial discrepancies
  • Development of preventable conditions
  • Personality changes or confusion

Regular visitation can help family members monitor the well-being of their aging loved ones. They should pay particular attention to the environment, including the disposition of other residents and facility staff. While scheduled visitation is great, unexpected visits can also help families get an accurate depiction of what goes on behind closed doors.

Taking action

Abuse impacts the lives of a staggering amount of elderly. In fact, the Administration for Community Living reports that nearly 10% of adults aged 60 and older have experienced abuse at some point. At the earliest sign of neglect or abuse, people should immediately report their concerns. First, they should speak directly with facility staff. If nothing comes of this conversation and it appears the neglect continues, people should take their concerns elsewhere.

For families with aging loved ones suffering from abuse, they may choose to involve an attorney to press charges. Everyone deserves compassionate and quality treatment.

Shelly Law Offices, LLC, has handled many cases involving nursing home neglect.  If your loved one has suffered death or injury as a result of nursing home neglect, Shelly Law Offices, LLC, can help.